Outreach & Training
Consumer Action’s multilingual and multicultural Community Outreach Managers counsel consumers, offer technical advice, conduct train-the-trainer workshops and presentations at community events and national conferences and provide expert analysis and commentary to English, Spanish and Chinese media on a variety of consumer issues. Aware that the best way to reach vulnerable consumer populations is to work with trusted community entities, Consumer Action’s outreach staff leverages our national network of more than 8,000 community-based… Read More »
- Consumer Action held Prepaid Card training sessions in San Diego
- Online safety trainings held in Philly, Oakland
Consumer Action Outreach team introduced the new "Put a Lock on It" publication and talked about online safety and privacy.
- Florida workshops on new phone network, Internet safety
Consumer Action Outreach staff gave a presentation on IP transition and Internet Safety in South Florida.
- Bilingual activity for workshops on online privacy
This classroom activity can be reproduced freely for educational purposes
- Identity Theft and Internet Safety Resource Sheet
This Identity Theft and Internet Safety Resource Sheet can be reproduced freely for educational purposes.
- Homebuyer Resource Sheet
This Homebuyer Resource Sheet, which contains state and federal home-buying resources but also resources specific to Los Angeles (CA) City and County, can be reproduced freely for educational purposes.
- Boning up on fair housing issues
Perrott reported on the National Community Reinvestment Coalition training in Jan 2015.
- ‘Primed and Prepped’ for money management
Perrott provided food service training to YMCA in San Francisco.
- MoneyWi$e helps local Girl Scouts earn their badges
Perrott provided training on budgeting and money management for Girl Scouts.
- Review the car purchase contract before signing
Rose Chan, consumer advice coordinator at Consumer Action, advised consumers to study car purchase contract in details before signing it.
- Protecting privacy in an era of smart police
The California Department of Justice convened a forum on “smart policing” technologies.
- Is your ‘Check credit report’ light blinking?
This article answers your questions on why you should check your credit reports and other information regarding credit reports.
Recommended Training Tools
- MoneyWi$e Interactive Courses
MoneyWi$e Interactive Courses are designed to help consumers manage their money, so that they can achieve their financial goals and dreams.
- Living Life Online (FTC resource)
The nation's consumer watchdog offers great guidance for staying safe and avoiding scams online.
- CTIA’s Your Wireless Service
CTIA - The Wireless Association has many solid resources to add to your wireless education efforts.
Videos & Webinars
- Using data effectively to build a ‘Culture of Health’
Perrott attended a meeting to learn how social media and mobile health technology can be used to improve health outcomes.
- Forced arbitration documentary premieres in San Francisco
Consumer Action co-hosted "Lost in the Fine Print", a short documentary, on Nov 10, 2014.
- Cell Phones & Digital Communication - Educational Videos
Common Sense Media has some great videos that speak to teens and young people about digital communication.
Support Consumer Action
Consumer Help Desk
- Help Desk
- Submit Your Complaints
- Presente su queja
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Links to Consumer Resources
- Consumer Service Guide (CSG)
- Class Action Database
- Consumer Booknotes