Help Desk FAQ

Contractors [California law]


I need to hire a contractor. What should I do?

First, shop around. Don't just pick a contractor out of the Yellow Pages; ask friends and neighbors for referrals. You should get at least three written estimates before deciding on a contractor. Once you have found someone you like, the next step is to check their license and complaint history with the state agency that issues their license. In California, this agency is the Contractors State License Board (CSLB). You can write or call them at:

Contractors State License Board
P.O. Box 26000
Sacramento, CA 95826
(916) 255-4041 (Complaint disclosure)
(800) 321-2752 (License verification)






Quick Menu

Facebook FTwitter T

Consumer Help Desk