Consumer Product Safety Cmsn. considers bans plus warning labels

Source: Dina ElBoghdady - The Washington Post

When a 9-year-old old boy accidentally swallowed several tiny round magnets in 2010, regulators turned to one of the most familiar tools in their arsenal: warning labels. The boy wasn’t hurt, but other cases kept surfacing, sometimes forcing kids into emergency rooms. The government learned of eight more incidents that year, another 17 last year and 25 this year — even after launching a public-service campaign warning that swallowing two or more of the balls can damage the digestive tract. In response, the Consumer Product Safety Commission did what it has rarely done before. It gave up on the warnings and proposed an outright ban.

Read Full Article: Consumer Product Safety Cmsn. considers bans plus warning labels

 

Tags/Keywords


 

Quick Menu

Support Consumer Action

Support Consumer
Facebook FTwitter T

Consumer Help Desk

Advocacy