Help Desk FAQ

Consular ID (Matricula Consular)


Which financial institutions accept consular ID cards?

Many financial institutions accept consular IDs as documentation qualifying applicants for bank accounts (other pieces of documentation may also be required). So, if you are undocumented and/or don't have a Social Security number, don't assume you can't open a checking or savings account.

Banks typically require one of the following to open an account:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Government-issued driver's license
  • Consular ID
  • In cities that issue them, a municipal ID might also be accepted. 

Banks also need proof of address and an idenitification number (for example, a Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number). 

Specific requirements and what is accepted varies from financial institution to financial institution. If one doesn't accept your consular ID card, try another. If you are Latino, consider one of the Latino credit unions, which have practices that facilitate the account-opening process for immigrants. To find one, check NerdWallet's online list.




Quick Menu

Facebook FTwitter T