Help Desk FAQ

Credit reports and scores


How can I dispute the information in my credit report?

Review your credit report(s) (you can request a free copy here: and make a note of any items that you believe to be wrong, outdated or inaccurate. Follow the instructions for disputing information that came with your report. 

Under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the credit bureau you submit your dispute to has 30 days from the date it receives your letter to conduct its investigation. This 30-day period can be extended to 45 days if the agency feels you didn't provide enough documentation to support your dispute. If the credit bureau can no longer verify the debt, or it is outdated, the bureau must immediately remove that item from your report. Within five days after completing the investigation, the credit bureau must inform you in writing of the results, which should include a new credit report reflecting any deletions, changes or insertions. Be advised: If a creditor later verifies the debt, the credit bureau will reinsert the information.

If the credit bureau decides not to investigate your file because it considers the dispute "frivolous and irrelevant," it must inform you within five days of their decision. At this point, you have the right to add a 100-word statement to your report, which gives you the opportunity to explain any negative information in your file.




Quick Menu

Facebook FTwitter T