Help Desk FAQ

Credit cards


How can I dispute a credit card charge?

You have the right to dispute credit card transactions:

  • Not authorized by you
  • In the wrong amount
  • For items that were never received or accepted, or that were returned
  • For merchandise (over $50) that was damaged, defective or didn't match its description
  • Where you have requested written proof of purchase

Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, you have 60 days from the date of the statement to file a dispute with the credit card issuer. If you notice an error or fraudulent transaction on your statement, dispute it right away. If the issue is related to an unsatisfactory purchase, you must first try to resolve the issue directly with the merchant. If, after your best effort, you cannot get a satisfactory resolution, then you can dispute the transaction with the credit card company (also within the 60-day period).

The creditor has 30 days from receipt of your letter to acknowledge your claim, after which it has two billing cycles to either correct the error or inform you why it feels the transaction is accurate and/or legitimate. During the course of the investigation, you are not obligated to pay the disputed charge, but you do have to pay the rest of your bill (or the minimum required payment). 

If the creditor decides that the transaction will remain, you have 10 days from that notice to inform the creditor that you still refuse to pay the bill. At this point, the creditor can start collection proceedings and report you to the credit bureaus, but it must inform the bureau that you are refusing to pay the bill because of a dispute.

Learn more in ValuePenguin's Disputing Credit Card Purchases: Everything You Should Know.

To file a formal complaint against a credit card company, contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) by phone (855-411-CFPB) or online




Quick Menu

Facebook FTwitter T